Thrifting Confession: Tyler Grant

Sunday, January 22, 2012


"I have long been a thrifter. I am in many ways a cheap person, though stores heralding “mega% off sales” fail to attract my attention. I love the serendipity of a thrift store. Shopping among others castoffs is like retail roulette and I’ve been addicted all my life. It began with hand-me-downs from my cousins, and before long I was more excited to select free things from a black trash bag then get gift certificates to the mall. Now it’s a way of life for me.

When I’m bored or just have time to kill I’ll stop by a shop. I may have something in mind that I would like to eventually purchase and if I find something that meets my specifications, I’ll get it. Since I’m not in a hurry, I often look over the entire store and leave with nothing, but I have acquired many items of décor and clothing I’ll probably have forever. Most of my favorite things were not bought in a hurry. My wardrobe has been assembled with leisure, and since I have time to carefully select what I want (and again, I’m cheap) I rarely regret a purchase.

If I am in a hurry, I know exactly what I’m looking for and need it now. I get tunnel vision. I have in my mind the precise sort of fugly 1970’s home furnishing for a White Elephant party at work, and only the best will do. In such times I can be in and out in 10 minutes.

My convictions where thrifting is concerned are . . .well . . .I have very few. I honestly have no limits as to what I will buy, and use, and enjoy, second- hand. If I’d buy it new, I usually prefer to buy it used. There is one great exception however. I have a difficult time finding used jeans and trousers that fit and look the way I want them to. As a result, I tend to thrift from the waist up. Though I may not have any other thifting standards, I’m picky ‘bout my pants. You gotta’ draw the line somewhere. " - Tyler Grant

(image source: sweetpaul blog)

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to you on many levels. Though I used to be ashamed to be seen in a thrift store, now I crave that treasure hunt. Most of my wardrobe is from second hand stores. I have recently learned to alter jeans. Before, they almost fit, after the alter, they fit like they were made for me. It's a great feeling to find clothes at a decent price and make them your own.

    ReplyDelete

Culture Keeper All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger