Kid In The Eyeglasses

Tuesday, February 14, 2012




I have a slight obsession. I have worn glasses since the second grade- and I still love wearing them. A friend recently asked me about shopping for eyewear. Here are my suggestions:

+ Buy Well
I wish that I could say that I take my own advice- but I don't. In the past I have bought really cheap frames (cue regret). Think about this: you wear your glasses every day. If you have contact lenses perhaps you don't. Either way- consider how often you will wear them and spend accordingly. Eyeglasses are the most recognizable trademark you have, and the most memorable item you wear. I highly recommend Tom Ford Eyewear. You can feel the quality. (Is that luxury on your face?)

+ Don't worry about it
People are always talking about face-shape and how you should purchase certain corresponding styles. I say that is ridiculous. Find what you like and what you think looks good on you. Ask your friends and family.

+ Know Yourself
*warning* do not purchase a pair of glasses because you want to look like someone else or because you think they are "cool". Those reasons are mega-lame. Invent your own image. Have your friends help you find what looks good on you. Find a pair that are off-beat and perhaps even dangerous. You know yourself better than anyone else- but don't just purchase a pair of glasses, this is your chance to re-invent your appearance- don't waste this chance.

+Try Try Try
If you have only tried on a few hundred pairs- you are not done yet. Get started several months before you actually need a pair. Survey multiple shoppes. Ask questions. Find out where their glasses are made, what are they made from, and who makes them. Don't let little children slave away on a pair of glasses that make you look tacky.

+ Buy Vintage
Seriously- vintage glasses can rock. Persol is a great example of an optical company whose frames hold up to time, and wear. If you are lucky enough to find a vintage (1950's) pair in an antique store or on eBay - snatch them up. They hold their value well and have a spring in them that makes them extremely comfortable to wear. A few years ago I found a pair of solid silver frames at my favorite antique store. They are small and round and make me look a bit like Gandhi. One day I will put lenses in them and wear them every fabulous day.

+ When in Doubt
Warby Parker is a pretty amazing company. They let you pick out 5 pairs, try them on at home, and return the ones you don't like. You don't have to pay shipping and it only costs $95 dollars. (They are not even paying me to say this). In addition they partner with non-profits around the world to provide a pair of glasses to someone in need for each pair sold. It all sounds like a great plan to me- and they have classic styles.

Need help making a decision? I am available for consultation. e-mail me at grant.of.mishawaka@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. I just bought two new pairs of glasses (as I had lost mine because I don't wear them as often as I should). And I wish I had thought of consulting you.
    I am pleased that I followed at least your first three advices.
    Hhmm, I wonder what you will think?
    It's funny because the lady in the store was trying to go a different direction than I wanted to, but I did not listen to her. I think it was better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This couldn't have been written at a better time. I bought new glasses today. I must have tried on 20 pair (I know, not enough), but in the end, I chose the ones that made me feel classy and confident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a new pair of glasses! They're Ray Bans, and I love them so much! I wanted frames like this for along time but didn't get them until now because the person who shopped with me before told me they looked silly. Took me awhile to ignore them, but I'm glad I did this time ;)
    I enjoyed reading your tips!

    www.thequirkypoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a well written post abut something so many of us use!! I completely agree with #2! Congrats for being on LALM! I am there too:-)
    Take care,
    Style-Delights Blog
    Let's Twitter Together

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have pink and maroon frames that i HATED when I bought them, and now they've become my signature. I think you're totally right about putting serious thought into your frames, b/c they factor SO much into the way people remember your face. i'm actually in the market for a new pair now that i'm graduating. i need a "serious" pair, so these tips come in handy. i kind of lucked into the ones I have now. great post, and congrats on LALM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to wear glasses up to when I was in second year at uni. but one thing about them is that I have to buy a new one almost every 2-3 months coz i broke 'em. it got damaged coz i accidently nod off while reading, and it happens every time. that's when i decided to change to lenses instead...much safer (and I won't get blind in my dreams! ha!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Culture Keeper All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger