More of My Personal Style

Saturday, December 17, 2011

My Wardrobe is built around pieces that get a lot of use. I have way too many clothes- but I only have a select collection that I completely adore and hope to keep forever. here is a quick guide to the pieces I cannot live without:


Stripes, pegged jeans, Navy Boat shoes. My summer staples. These take up about half of my wardrobe. Classic, easy, fun. I bought my first long-sleeved nautical stripe in 2006 at a the Gap store near St. Sulpice in Paris. If I had ten of them I would wear that shirt every single day. no joke. I love it.

My parents always said to be prepared for anything. I always carry a huge bag. you never know when you will have a few extra minutes to sketch or read another chapter of that novel, or need to add or remove a cardigan. the huge bag solves that. I love this bag from Heritage Leather Goods. (I hope I get this for christmas) Normally I find vintage bags in antique stores. This may make me look like a Granny about to board a train- but whatever. That's just part of my style.

Scarves. I have worn them for years. sometimes I wear up to six at a time. sometimes I wear a bedsheet as a scarf. Sometimes I wear a long scrap of black fabric left over from when my little brother recovered an ottoman. I currently adore this really soft orange/red scarf that my brother bought me at H+M. It works great for every season- and because I am always wearing black or Navy- it matches every outfit i put together.

Bracelets. I go in phases of wearing bracelets and hating bracelets. I currently wear five. each of them given to me by a dear friend or found in a thrift store. They make me feel like a gypsy, or a bedouin. I like the sound they make when the metal ones clink together. They remind me that style is relative to time and place.

Trench! I adore trench coats. I have a trench coat that was my dad's in the early 1980's. He gave it to me just before I moved to Paris. It does not quite fit right- but it keeps me warm. When I was in Vegas last winter I bought a lighter weight/ slimmer cut trench at a thrift store. I adore that Trench too. I wear it whenever possible.

I would not normally be the ideal canidate for a motorcycle jacket- but a few years ago I came across one at a Salvation Army shop. It was great, the weather was cold, and I had a few extra bucks- so I bought it. Now it is one of my favorite pieces. I wear it whenever I want to feel like a badass. seriously. I love mixing things up by adding a bow-tie or penny loafers. My friend Kirstin said my jacket looks like it has been run over a few times. I like to think that it was once worn by one of The Sex Pisols. Either way- this jacket rocks- and now is a staple in my wardrobe.


I own twelve winter coats. I find vintage ones mostly. Duffel coats, military coats, pea coats... I have a slight obsession. One of my favorites is a grey wool trench. Sometimes I add a fur collar. I want to change the buttons out and switch them to gold buttons.

This is my basic look- necklace, v-neck, skinny pants, jacket or cardigan. I guess that is pretty standard nowadays. I have a pair of skinny orange pants. I have hilarious stories about those pants. Perhaps they need their own article.... so more on that soon.

Shoes. Wing-tips are my standard. Frye boots are my winter standard- the harness kind, in black. whenever possible I wear moccasins. Going barefoot is the greatest luxury ever.

5 comments:

  1. I love this style.Looking great.This blog is really amazing and provide me answers to all my questions. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same.
    Regards,
    ROTHCO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is my favorite. LOVE your style, J Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adoration for the nautical stripes, granny bags, and trenches! Your style rocks my world.

    ReplyDelete

Culture Keeper All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger